1. Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to access often in the front. Allow for walkways.
2. Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
3. Place your storage items on 2 x 4 boards or on pallets to guard against dampness. Any concrete floor may become cold and damp.
4. CAUTION: Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (i.e., paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.).
5. Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25 lbs. to 30 lbs. (It is best not to put too much in each box).
6. List contents of boxes on all four sizes; number the boxes, seal them with tape.
7. Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes.
8. Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
9. Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked "FRAGILE" and stacked on end.
10. Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, knick knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
11. Larger appliances make excellent "packing cases" for blankets, towels, tablecloths, and clothes.
12. Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
13. Tables having removable legs should be "broken down" to save space.
14. Sofas and love-seats can be stored on end to save floor space. Always place a protective cover under the item on the concrete.
15. Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
16. If you stand mattresses on their side, "prop" them up so they stand straight. They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
17. Rent the smallest amount of space you need and pack the space full.
18. Prepare your space by placing a protective cover on the floor under your goods.
19. Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
20. Use a good quality lock on your door. Cheap locks rust and do not provide good security.